Sunday, October 25, 2009

Clive Thompson On The New Literacy.

Clive Thomspson's article was about the "New Literacy," which is this new way young people communicate. He showed us professor Andrea Lunsford's research about this new literacy that she finds to be neither good nor bad, but simply taking a new direction. She says that today's young people like to write more for an audience rather than just a professor, that they want to make more of an impact on the world. Her research showed that thirty eight percent of writing took place outside of the classroom.
This article was very interesting to me. It actually made me think, and what professor Lunsford found with her research, I found to be very true. Personally I do enjoy writing for an audience rather than just doing pointless writing in school to get a good grade. For example, I enjoy writing letters to friends who are far away, even if I can speak to them faster on the internet, and I do write those letters without using online slang. She's right that now a days all young people just want to make an impact, want to be remembered in a way, and that is something I understand and relate to. I liked how professor Lunsford didn't find this type of writing bad, but just different. This article was short and to the point and it was relatable.


Questions.

1. Does the rest of the class also feel that they can relate to this article? That they do enjoy writing for a purpose and not just for school.
2. Does everyone find themselves writing more online than they do for school?(even if it is for texting or sending an email)
3. Do you believe that this is a new direction for writing or is it just bad?
4. When you read a book, do you feel like it has an impact on your life? (in a way changes you or your perspective, even if its a small change)

No comments:

Post a Comment