I personally dislike reading books, I do not enjoy it, as many people do. Every time I start to read a book I think I might like, I feel impatient to get to the point, but it usually takes more time and then I can't go on reading it. The only books that I enjoy reading and can say that I cannot put down are the Twilight Saga. I would rather read online because there are so many things to research while reading. The internet opens a window of information for me to explore. Usually the reading I do online is short and to the point, which is exactly what I like. When you read actual books there are details that explain the mood, atmosphere, setting and all these things that take so much time to read and make reading tiresome. I feel that I should read more books because that helps expand my vocabulary and such things, but I cannot stand it because they are too long.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
R U Really Reading?
Motoko Rich's article is about young adults who do not like reading books, but enjoy a new way of reading online. Its true that todays teenagers do not find reading books fun, instead they spend endless hours on the internet. Many teenagers read short stories, articles, or anything that might interest them using the internet. Not many teenagers find books as interesting as their parents. This new way of reading might be difficult to understand especially for people who are over a certain age and are used to the traditional ways of reading. Our generation is used to the computers and this fast way of exchanging information, and because of our knowledge we are able to adapt more easily to the technologies yet to come. In the article Rich, does not make this new way of reading a negative issue, instead he shows both perspectives. He says how many countries are now testing students on their proficiency on the internet, not just on reading comprehension. I think that this can help for our future, because now a lot of things are based on using computers and other technologies. He says that some old fashioned people think that this type of reading is like "empty calories." They say that reading on the internet is not put in the right order, meaning that they don't have a middle, beginning, etc. Professor Rand J. Spiro feels that this is a good thing because "the world doesn't go in a line, and the world isn't organized into separate compartments or chapters."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment